During hypnosis, the body and conscious mind are in a relaxed, natural state, while the subconscious mind remains awake and receptive to suggestion. Hypnosis is an education-communication process to a person’s mind that allows his/her conscious and subconscious minds to believe the same message.
How does the subconscious accept hypnotic suggestions?
Hypnotic suggestions bypass the intellectual mind, called the “conscious,” and zero in on the subconscious. When given a new suggestion that is within the bounds of a person’s belief system and moral orientation, the subconscious mind accepts it literally as a new reality.
How does hypnosis help people?
The ability to reprogram emotional attitudes and reactions is a latent talent within every human being. Hypnosis is the most functional and reasonable way to train life-long attitudes, rather than suffer a lifetime of emotional accidents the conscious mind is unable to change.
People of average intelligence (unless there is some form of organic brain damage) can be hypnotized in most cases if they are willing and do not resist. The depth of hypnosis varies with a person’s ability to respond. If you are not a naturally responsive subject, you can improve your receptivity to hypnosis with practice.
Is hypnosis medically approved?
Yes. The American Medical Association and the American Psychiatric Association have approved hypnotherapy for use by professionally responsible individuals. The British Medical Association also adopted hypnosis as a viable therapeutic tool in 1958. (The same year as the AMA.)
No. The induction of hypnosis is never dangerous to the subject, although personal disappointments may arise because of unrealistic expectations or preconceived information.
Are the results of hypnosis permanent?
Suggestions stay with some individuals indefinitely, others need reinforcement. The effects of hypnosis are cumulative: The more the techniques are practiced and post-hypnotic suggestions are brought into play, the more permanent the results become. Self-hypnosis training and reinforcement tapes for home use also provide additional help.
Hypnosis is a consent situation in which 10 percent of the effort is the hypnotist’s and the remaining 90 percent is the responsibility of the client.
In what areas is hypnotherapy helpful?
Hypnotherapy is helpful in a variety of areas including:
- Nail biting
- Bed wetting
- Pain management
- Public speaking
- Weight control
- Medical procedures
- Sexual dysfunction
- High blood pressure
- Past life regression
- Tension headaches
- Memory improvement
- Improved concentration
- Co-dependency issues
- Catastrophic illness
- Body, mind healing
- Inner child dialogue
- Guided imagery
- Test taking/study habits
- Regression therapy
- Disabilities, MS, RSD, etc.
- Dental procedures
- And much more…